WEEK IN REVIEW: Seven shot dead throughout Chicago

Homicide Watch Chicago

Seven men were shot to death throughout Chicago last week.

Three of the killing happened over the weekend, when at least 23 other people were wounded by gunfire.

The most recent killing happened when Arturo Olivera was found shot in a vehicle near North Kenton and West End avenues about 2 a.m. Saturday, authorities said.

Olivera, of the 800 block of Thornwood Lane in Glenview, was declared dead at the scene, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office, which did not release his exact age.

On Friday, 19-year-old Anfernee Durant was shot multiple times during a drive-by shooting in the 7800 block of South Vincennes Avenue about 6:20 p.m., authorities said.

Durant, of the 7800 block of South Loomis Boulevard, died at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn about an hour later, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

In the Chicago Lawn community, 18-year-old Tyree D. Harris was in the 6800 block of South Western Avenue when a gunman walked up and shot him in the head about 6:15 p.m. Friday, authorities said.

Harris, of an unidentified home address, died at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn about two hours later, according to the medical examiner’s office.

On Wednesday, 40-year-old Darriel Woods was in the 5000 block of South Racine Avenue when a gunman exited a vehicle and opened fire about 6:40 p.m. Wednesday, authorities said.

Woods, of the 5600 block of South Bishop Street, was shot in the chest multiple times and died at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County about an hour later, authorities said. A 25-year-old man was also wounded, but survived, police said.

In the Chicago Lawn, 19-year-old Edwin Cook was shot multiple times on a sidewalk in the 6600 block of South Oakley Avenue about 9 a.m. Wednesday, authorities said.

Cook, of the 6600 block of South Bell Avenue, died at the scene, according to the medical examiner’s office.

In the New City community, four males approached a home in the 5300 block of South May Street, knocked on the door and shot 25-year-old Heath Huntspon when he answered about 12:15 a.m. Wednesday, authorities said.

Huntspon was shot once in the chest and died at the scene, authorities said.

The killing started when Christopher Garcia went to 26-year-old Derrick McIntyre‘s apartment in the 7800 block of South Coles Avenue and fatally shot him about 10:10 a.m. Tuesday, authorities said.

McIntyre was declared dead less than an hour later at Christ Medical Center, according to the medical examiner’s office.

Prosecutors claim Garcia, of the 8000 block of South South Shore Drive, admitted to police he went to McIntyre’s home armed with a weapon to help get back items he said the man ripped off from his friend.

Additionally, charges were upgraded to murder Friday against 28-year-old Dantis Porter after prosecutors said he brutally beat 1-year-old Johnny Kimble on Jan. 6. The child died Jan. 9, and Porter was ordered held without bond on the upgraded murder charges.

Overall, the medical examiner’s office has ruled at least 23 Chicago deaths in 2015 a homicide.

blog comments powered by Disqus