By JEFF MAYES
Chicago Sun-Times Wire
A group of ministers who had called for Easter to be a “day without murder” technically got what they wanted—there were no fatalities among a dozen shootings Sunday; but there were still at least eight men fatally shot last week, including three on Wednesday.
The Rev. Karen Mooney, one of the organizers of the “Thou Shalt Not Murder” campaign, realized it was a start, but not a true victory.
“I find myself grateful that, by grace, no murders happened on Easter Sunday. Twelve people were shot, our victory hollowed, but through the hard work of first responders and medical professionals, no one has died,” she posted on the Thou Shalt Not Murder Facebook page.
“For all those who have helped through prayer and work and witness, I am grateful that you brought your talent and time and faith to bring hope into our world. Grateful that memorials were placed, events held, articles written and ideas shared.
“As this new week unfolds my prayer, beyond for a continued time of no murder, is that you find rest and joy abundant,” Mooney said.
Organizers say the campaign will continue, with Mother’s Day being eyed as a possible future action day.
In the most recent homicide, two men were shot, one fatally, Saturday afternoon in West Englewood. The men, 27 and 28, were in the 7000 block of South Paulina about 2:10 p.m. when two suspects walked up and fired shots before running away, according to Chicago Police. The 28-year-old suffered a graze wound to the head and was treated at the scene.
But Cordero Mosley was shot three times in the right shoulder, once in the left shoulder, once in the back, and once in each leg, authorities said. Mosley, of the 6700 block of South Wood Street, was taken Holy Cross Hospital, where he died at 2:28 p.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
Two more men were shot—again one fatally—inside a bar in the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood early Friday. They were inside the 50 Yard Line club near 75th and Michigan a few minutes before 2 a.m. when a fight broke out, someone pulled a gun and they were shot, authorities said.
Andrew Love, 29, was shot in the abdomen and was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he died at 3:52 a.m., according to police and the medical examiner’s office. He lived in the 7300 block of South Peoria. Another man, 32, was shot in the leg and was in serious condition.
One person was taken into custody Friday in connection with the shooting, but has since been released without charges.
An 18-year-old Evanston man was shot to death in Rogers Park on Wednesday afternoon. About 4:15 p.m., Antonio Robert Johnson was outside in the 7400 block of North Ridge when someone walked up and shot him in the head, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.
Johnson was pronounced dead on the way to a hospital. An autopsy found he died of multiple gunshot wounds and his death was ruled a homicide.
A 19-year-old man was shot to death early Wednesday in Back of Yards. Officers called to perform a well-being check at 12:24 a.m. in the 5300 block of South Hermitage found Armani Dickinson lying unresponsive in the alley, authorities said.
Dickinson, of the 13000 block of South Ellis, had suffered a gunshot wound to the back of the head and was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.
Mario Ramirez Jr. was shot to death early Wednesday while driving in the Humboldt Park neighborhood on the West Side. Officers responding to reports of shots fired at 12:08 a.m. in the 1100 block of North Pulaski found the 35-year-old inside a vehicle with a gunshot wound, according to police.
Ramirez, of the 1800 block of North Tripp, was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to the medical examiner’s office. An autopsy showed he died of a gunshot wound to the chest.
Jarvis Coleman was shot to death Tuesday morning in the West Garfield Park neighborhood. The 24-year-old was standing on the sidewalk in the 0-100 block of North Keeler about 10:15 a.m. when someone walked up and fired shots, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.
Coleman, of the 700 block of South Kostner, was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital where he was pronounced dead. His family said he lived in the 4200 block of West Maypole. An autopsy found he died of multiple gunshot wounds, and his death was ruled a homicide.
A man was shot to death Tuesday morning in the Back of the Yards neighborhood on the South Side. Alcaraz C. Reyes, 34, was shot in the chest at 6:18 a.m. in the 5200 block of South Winchester, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.
Reyes, who lived on the same block where he was shot, was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to the medical examiner’s office.
Marcus Smith was killed in a shooting that left three other people wounded Monday night in West Englewood. The victims were in a car in the 2000 block of West 70th Place at 8:49 p.m. when someone opened fire, authorities said.
Smith, 39, was shot in the back of the head, and was pronounced dead at the scene. He lived on the block where the shooting happened. An autopsy showed he died of multiple gunshot wounds and his death was ruled a homicide.
A 38-year-old man suffered three gunshot wounds to the side and one to the arm, and was taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital, police said. Two other people, whose ages and genders were not known, were taken to Holy Cross Hospital for treatment, according to Fire Media Affairs.
The fatal shootings pushed the city homicide total to over 140 less than three months into the year, according to figures compiled by the Chicago Sun-Times Wire.