At least 12 people were killed last week in Chicago, including a pair of teenage boys, and three people who were killed while standing out a home on the Far South Side.
A 14-year-old boy was fatally shot Tuesday afternoon in the South Chicago neighborhood. Just after 5 p.m., he was standing on the sidewalk in the 8000 block of South Manistee when another person walked up, pulled a weapon and fired shots, according to Chicago Police.
The boy, identified as Melvin James, suffered gunshot wounds to the abdomen and left leg, and was taken Comer Children’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 2 a.m. Wednesday, police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said. He lived in the same neighborhood where he was shot.
A day earlier, a 15-year-old boy was shot to death during an argument in the Southwest Side Lawndale neighborhood. Antwon Green was on the sidewalk at 7:49 p.m. in front of a home in the 1500 block of South Drake when he started arguing with a group of people, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.
During the argument, someone pulled out a gun and shot him in the back, police said. Green was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead about 30 minutes later, authorities said.
The mass shooting occurred Saturday night when two women and a man were shot to death in outside one of the victim’s homes in Roseland. The group was standing behind a parked vehicle about 11:40 p.m. when two people came out of an alley near the 11400 block of South Yale and fired multiple shots, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.
Tyson White, 36, whose home address wasn’t known, suffered a gunshot wound to his neck, authorities said. The women, 26-year-old Jacquell Mosley and 30-year-old Dominic N. Morris, were both shot multiple times. Morris lived on the same block, while Mosley lived in the West Pullman neighborhood. All three died at the scene, police said.
In other homicides last week:
- A 22-year-old man was fatally shot Sunday night, also in Roseland. Steven Reid was found about 8 p.m. with a gunshot wound to the head by officers responding to a report of a shooting in the 11100 block of South Michigan Avenue, according to police and the medical examiner’s office. Reid was taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was pronounced dead about 3 hours later. He lived in West Pullman.
- Another 22-year-old man was shot to death early Saturday in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood. Officers found Carlos Cortez unresponsive about 2:15 a.m. on the street in the 5300 block of South Seeley, according to police and the medical examiner’s office. He had been shot multiple times and was pronounced dead at Holy Cross Hospital 20 minutes later.
- A man was found shot to death inside a car early Friday in the West Side Lawndale neighborhood. Officers found 30-year-old Patrick A. Thompson Jr. with a gunshot wound to the head about 2:30 a.m. in the 1100 block of South Troy, according to police and the medical examiner’s office. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The circumstances of the shooting were unknown. He lived near the United Center on the Near West Side.
- An 18-year-old man was shot to death Thursday morning in Lawndale. Officers responding to reports of shots fired at 7:24 a.m. found Terrence Johnson with gunshot wounds to the arm and neck in the 3800 block of West Flournoy, according to police and the medical examiner’s office. Johnson was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he died half an hour later. He lived in the West Side Austin neighborhood. Police said the shooting was believed to be related to the selling of narcotics.
- A northwest suburban man was shot to death Wednesday night in the Englewood neighborhood on the South Side. Erick Louis Charles Jr., 25, of Mount Prospect, was standing on a porch about 9:45 p.m. in the 6300 block of South Carpenter when shots were fired, according to authorities. He suffered a gunshot wound to his head and was pronounced dead at the scene.
- A man was shot to death early Wednesday during a fight in Austin. James Posey Jr., 21, was shot in the head at 5:17 p.m. in the 5200 block of West Gladys, according to police and the medical examiner’s office. Another man pulled out a gun and fired shots during the confrontation. Posey was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. He lived in West Garfield Park.
- A man was shot and killed Monday night in the LeClaire Courts neighborhood on the Southwest Side. Gregory McDaniels Jr., 38, was on the sidewalk at 10:55 p.m. in the 4400 block of South Lawler when two people walked up to him and opened fire, according to police and the medical examiner’s office. McDaniels was shot in the chest, head and leg; and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead 30 minutes later, authorities said. He lived in the Vittum Park neighborhood on the Southwest Side.
- A man and a woman died Monday evening in a murder-suicide in Austin. They were both shot at 6:36 p.m. in the 4900 block of West Washington, according to police. The woman, identified as 26-year-old Ashley Shanta-Nicole Harrison of Lawndale, had been shot multiple times, according to police and the medical examiner’s office. The man, identified as 34-year-old Brian A. Jones, had an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, authorities said. He lived in the same block where the shooting occurred. They were both taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where they were pronounced dead within the hour. The shooting was believed to be a “domestic incident.”
—Homicide Watch Chicago