Family: Slain Rayvon Little enjoyed basketball, reading

Homicide Watch Chicago

Rayvon Little left his Minnesota home as a teenager to come live with his grandmother in Englewood, family said.

Christine Little said her grandson was a quiet young man who often spent his time at home reading or watching Christian television with her.

Christine Little said she was close to her grandson, and when she recently encouraged him to go visit his family in Minnesota he requested she accompany him.

Rayvon Little, 20, never got the chance to return to Minnesota because he was fatally shot Nov. 1, 2014, in the 6700 block of South Morgan Street.

Authorities said Little was outside when somebody in a passing group opened fire. Little was shot multiple times and died about an hour later at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County. Another man, 19, was shot in the leg but survived.

Rayvon Little, who attended a local alternative high school, enjoyed riding his bicycle through the neighborhood and playing basketball and football at local parks, his grandmother said.

At home, Rayvon Little would “read for hours” and wanted to become a teacher, his grandmother said.

Family friend Kendall Richardson said Rayvon Little wanted to earn his GED because “he saw what was going on around in the streets.”

He wanted to better himself, but I guess it was too little too late,” said Richardson, who added “it can happen to anybody [in this neighborhood]”.

Rayvon Little / Photo from Facebook

Rayvon Little / Photo from Facebook

Christine Little said her grandson was out when the gunfire erupted, but she never thought it was him who was shot.

Immediately after the shooting, Christine Little said she went to the front windows, but she was unable to get a good look because the windows were being replaced and were covered with plastic.

I didn’t think it was my baby,” Christine Little said. “I went to the window and peeped underneath [the plastic] and saw a guy running.”

Christine Little said nobody knocked on her door to tell her it was her grandson who was killed until after police left.

I was shocked that this happened, especially with him,” Davis said. “He was so quiet and low key. I couldn’t imagine anyone wanting to do something that terrible to him.”

Nobody has been charged for the murder. Area South detectives are investigating.

blog comments powered by Disqus