Prosecutors: Anthony Diaz, 13, was shot in midst of others’ fight in Belmont Cragin community

Roberto Madrigal / Photo from Chicago Police
Roberto Madrigal / Photo from Chicago Police

Chicago Sun-Times

Anthony Diaz came to watch.

Like others in the crowd who descended on the Northwest Side parking lot Sunday night, the 13-year-old wanted to see the fight between the two females who were duking it out on social media and in text messages just days before.

But when it was over, it was Anthony who bore the brunt of the violent evening, succumbing to the bullets fired by 18-year-old Roberto Madrigal — another spectator at the rumble, prosecutors said.

Anthony was later pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital with multiple gunshot wounds, authorities said.

Anthony and his friends had come to the parking lot, in the 6000 block of West Grand Avenue, where the two females had agreed to settle the score, Assistant State’s Attorney Jamie Santini said.

Madrigal had already been waiting with seven of his friends, Santini said.

The two females went over the rules of the fight before they began hitting each other, Santini said.

As they swung away, two people from the group of 14 allegedly recorded the physical altercation on their cell phones.

When one of the females started to “get the better of the other,” her friends jumped in and soon, a melee ensued with most those who came to watch, Santini said.

Moments later, Anthony started to walk away.

Madrigal, seen walking in the same direction, pulled out a gun from his waistband and shot Anthony four times, Santini said.

Madrigal was seen running from the scene with the weapon in his hand before he got into the car with his friends, Santini said.

Anthony Diaz / Submitted photo

Anthony Diaz / Submitted photo

He later allegedly admitted that he pulled the trigger to others.

Several witnesses had heard Madrigal discuss a gun and ammunition prior to arriving at the parking lot over the weekend, Santini said.

He had the driver of a car he was traveling in pull over to a home where he emerged from five minutes later, Santini said.

From there, Madrigal and his friends proceeded to the site of the scheduled fight, Santini said.

Anthony’s stepfather, Ralph Otero, 47, told the Sun-Times that Anthony and two of his sisters, ages 15 and 17, had gone to the parking lot to confront someone about Facebook posts.

Prosecutors, however, refused to discuss the ages or relationship of Anthony to the two females involved in the fight.

Madrigal, who appeared in court Friday with black jeans, white Nikes and a camouflage printed dress shirt, was identified by a handful of witnesses, authorities said.

Judge James Brown ordered Madrigal, of the 2700 block of North Laramie Avenue, held without bond. He will be back in court March 4.

blog comments powered by Disqus