Robert Murphy III, second man shot in Chatham argument, dies

A man wounded earlier this month during a shooting that already claimed the life of 49-year-old Anthony Williamson has died, authorities said.

Robert Murphy III died Saturday from a gunshot to the head that he suffered on the morning of Oct. 14, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.

On Thursday, 35-year-old Terry “T-Bone” Burnett was denied bond for killing Williamson who was riding in a black Chevy Impala driven by Murphy when he was shot, authorities said. He has not yet been charged with Murphy’s killing, police said.
Terry Burnett / Photo from Chicago Police

Terry Burnett / Photo from Chicago Police

Burnett, of Harvey, allegedly shot Williamson and Murphy following an argument in the 800 block of East 82nd Street about 8:50 a.m. Oct. 14, authorities said.

The car was stopped at the intersection of South Maryland Avenue and Burnett walked up, “raised a loaded firearm and fired that gun into the car at both victims,” according to court documents.

Burnett fired four or five shots, striking Williamson in the back and the driver — since identified as Murphy — once in the head, prosecutors said.

Williamson, of the 8700 block of South Ashland Avenue, died at the scene, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. The death was ruled a homicide.

Murphy, 30, drove eastbound on 82nd Street until crashing into three parked cars near Drexel Avenue, authorities said.

Paramedics took him to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in critical condition, police said. Murphy, of the 7900 block of South Escanaba Avenue, died there Saturday morning at 8:30 a.m., according to the medical examiner’s office.

After the shooting, Burnett fled the scene, prosecutors said. With the gun still in his hand, he walked past a witnesses who knew him as “T-bone.”

Two witnesses identified Burnett as the shooter in a photo array and an arrest warrant was issued Tuesday, according to court documents.

Burnett, of the 14600 block of South Jefferson Street in Harvey, was charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and aggravated battery, police said.

He will be back in court Nov. 12.

— Sun-Times Media Wire

blog comments powered by Disqus