Clint Massey charged with murder in shooting death of livery driver Javan Boyd near U.S. Cellular Field

Chicago Sun-Times

A South Side teenager has been charged in last month’s slaying of a livery driver blocks away from U.S. Cellular Field.

Witnesses allegedly saw Clint Massey, 17, fire a gun into a vehicle driven by 28-year-old Javan Boyd on Feb. 22, prosecutors said. A portion of the shooting was also caught on surveillance video.

Massey raps under the name RondoNumbaNine.

Massey, of the 6600 block of South Honore Street, is now charged with first-degree murder. Cook County Judge James Brown ordered him held Sunday in lieu of $2 million bond.

Assistant State’s Attorney Robert Mack told the judge that Massey and an unnamed accomplice were out to retaliate for an earlier fight when they went to the 3700 block of South Princeton Avenue.

Boyd was there, sitting in his car and waiting for a customer, when Massey and the other alleged shooter approached and tried to open a door on the passenger side of Boyd’s vehicle, Mack said. Then they began firing their handguns into the vehicle, shooting Boyd twice in the back and three times in the left leg, Mack said.

Javan Boyd / Family Photo

Javan Boyd / Family Photo

Boyd was shot seven times and pronounced dead at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, Mack said.

Massey was arrested Friday evening when police pulled his car over in the 1000 block of North LaSalle Street, according to police reports. Mack said investigators found one of Massey’s fingerprint on Boyd’s car.

Boyd worked as a food-packer in west suburban Woodridge and recently began working as a part-time livery driver, his family said last month. He was born in New Orleans and came to Chicago in 1991 with his family to live in the Robert Taylor Homes in the Bronzeville community.

A fire there three years later claimed the life of his mother, two sisters and brother, according to relatives. Boyd survived and was adopted by an aunt.

He pleaded guilty in 2008 to an aggravated vehicular hijacking charge in Calumet City, but his family said he had turned his life around.

blog comments powered by Disqus