BY MICHAEL LANSU
Homicide Watch Chicago Editor
Eight people were murdered throughout Chicago last week, including three people in their 50s.
The slayings included shootings, a stabbing and a woman intentionally struck by a vehicle.
While at least 36 people were shot over the weekend, the only fatality happened when 42-year-old Ronnie Amos was found shot in the 3600 block of West Chicago Avenue about 8:55 a.m. Saturday, authorities said.
Amos, who lived on the block, died at Mount Sinai Hospital less than an hour later, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
On Friday, 23-year-old Darius M. Smith allegedly stabbed 28-year-old Tony Ervin during a fight at Ervin’s home in the 6000 block of South Sacramento Avenue in the Chicago Lawn community about 10:30 p.m., authorities said.
Ervin, 28, died less than an hour later at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, according to the medical examiner’s office.
Smith, of the 6300 block of South Albany Avenue, was charged with first-degree murder, police said.
On Thursday, 56-year-old Albert Glover was in the 100 block of North Leamington Avenue in Austin when a vehicle pulled up and someone inside fired shots about 1:35 p.m., authorities said.
Glover, who lived on the block, was shot in the back and left leg, authorities said. He died a short time at Mount Sinai Hospital, according to the medical examiner’s office.
In the River West neighborhood, 34-year-old Sonny Ortiz was shot while inside a parked vehicle then attempted to drive away, authorities said. He crashed into a parked vehicle and light pole in the nearby 1200 block of West Chicago Avenue about 12:20 a.m. Thursday, police said.
Ortiz, of the 3600 block of North Austin Avenue, died at Northwestern Memorial Hospital less than an hour later, authorities said.
On Wednesday, 54-year-old Eddie Jones had just gotten out of a car to talk with another person in the 6500 block of South Sangamon in Englewood when a gunman walked out of a nearby gangway and opened fire about 10:50 p.m., authorities said.
Jones was shot in the head and died at the scene, authorities said. His home address was not immediately available.
On Tuesday, 54-year-old Sharon Bonds was intentionally struck by a vehicle in the 9100 block of South Euclid Avenue about 5:30 a.m., authorities said.
Bonds, of the 8800 block of South Oglesby Avenue, died at the scene, according to the medical examiner’s office. An autopsy determined she died of multiple injuries from being struck by the vehicle and the death was ruled a homicide.
On Monday, 40-year-old Alfred Barnett was shot in the groin area in the 6900 block of South Laflin Street about 5 p.m., authorities said. He also went by the name Kenneth Martin.
Barnett, of the 7200 block of South Rockwell Street, died at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn at 9:42 p.m. Friday, according to the medical examiner’s office.
The killings began when 46-year-old Andre Knight was shot in the back of the head in an alley behind his home in the 4800 block of West Concord Place about 4 a.m. Monday, authorities said. Knight died less than an hour later at Mount Sinai Hospital.
Overall, the medical examiner’s office has ruled at least 187 Chicago deaths in 2014 a homicide — including seven people killed by police.
Additionally, the state’s attorney’s office filed first-degree murder charges against a speeding motorist who killed an off-duty police officer while trying to flee police even though the autopsy ruled the death an accident.
Chicago Police, which counts murders different, have ruled some of those homicides as involuntary manslaughter, justified self-defense or accidents.