Prosecutors: Joseph Burdine killed months after being threatened in court

Victor Chatmon / Photo from Chicago Police
Victor Chatmon / Photo from Chicago Police

Chicago Sun-Times

Just three months after he was threatened in a Cook County courthouse, the survivor of an attempted murder was again targeted, this time fatally, prosecutors said.

South Sider Joseph Burdine, 24, had survived a shooting in 2010. But when his would-be killer, M.O.B. Gangster Disciple DeAndre Curtis, was sentenced to 15 years in prison in December, Curtis’s family allegedly threatened Burdine for showing up in court.

And on March 19, one of Curtis’s pals came for Burdine, Assistant State’s Attorney Sarah Karr said in court Wednesday.

This time, the gunman didn’t miss.

Victor Chatmon — another member of the M.O.B. Gangster Disciples — was ordered held without bond Wednesday for Burdine’s murder.

Burdine was walking from Miska’s Liquor store in the late morning when Chatmon gunned him down in the 7900 block of South Kedzie Avenue, Karr said.

Two people who lived nearby witnessed the shooting while sitting on their couch, looking out their picture window, Karr said.

One witness saw Chatmon on 80th Street, heard a gunshot and saw Chatmon shoot Burdine three to five times, striking him in the back and chest, Karr said.

Both witnesses then saw 23-year-old Chatmon run into an alley and through a gangway before crossing Kedzie and running into a parking lot between the liquor store and neighboring day care center, Karr said.

Surveillance footage from the liquor store, which captured Burdine, also caught Chatmon running in the area following the shooting, Karr said.

Joseph Burdine / Photo from DNAinfo Chicago

Joseph Burdine / Photo from DNAinfo Chicago

The witnesses from the nearby home identified Chatmon, who was arrested on Monday.

Chatmon, of the 9200 block of South Cottage Grove Avenue, has a 2011 possession of a stolen motor vehicle conviction and five misdemeanors on his record.

An electrician, he has two children, including a three-month-old baby, his attorney said.

He previously shared an address with Curtis, who was in 2010 charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery for shooting at Burdine, authorities said.

When Curtis was sentenced to 15 years in prison on Dec. 9 after pleading guilty to aggravated battery with a firearm, his family and Burdine got into a physical altercation and Curtis’ family threatened Burdine for showing up in court, Karr said.

Since that time, Curtis has filed a motion to withdraw his guilty plea. He is due back in court on April 28.

blog comments powered by Disqus