Timothy Agnew killed, four wounded in shooting on West Englewood block scarred by violence

Chicago Sun-Times Wire

Timothy Agnew was killed and four other people, including a 13-year-old boy, were seriously wounded in a West Englewood neighborhood shooting Monday night on a South Side block that was the scene of a similar mass shooting just over a year earlier.

The group was standing in the front yard of a home at 8:50 p.m. in the 6700 block of South Winchester when another group of males walked up and started shooting, according to Chicago Police. The shooters then ran away.

Agnew, 28, was shot in the head and was pronounced dead at the scene at 9:18 p.m., according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office. He lived in the 8100 block of South Maryland.

A 13-year-old boy suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the right thigh, and was taken in critical condition to Comer Children’s Hospital, police said.

A 23-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the left leg, and a 30-year-old man with gunshot wounds to the left leg and buttocks were both taken to Stroger Hospital, according to police. Their conditions were stabilized.

The fifth victim, a 34-year-old man, was shot in the right leg, right hand and shoulder, police said. He was taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where his condition was stabilized.

No one was in custody as of early Tuesday as Area South detectives investigate.

Last year, four men were wounded in a shooting on the same block, the Sun-Times Wire reported.

About 9:50 p.m. on Aug. 2, 2015, a gunman walked up to a group and opened fire, police said. A 24-year-old was shot repeatedly; a 25-year-old was shot in the buttocks; a 19-year-old was shot in the leg; and a 25-year-old was shot in the back. None of the men’s injuries were life-threatening.

Less than a week later, two teenage boys were shot on the same block. On Aug. 8, 2015, the boys were walking about 9:40 p.m. when gunfire rang out, police said at the time. A 12-year-old boy was shot in the leg and a 15-year-old boy in the buttocks. Both were treated at Comer Children’s Hospital.

blog comments powered by Disqus