Man in prison for beating Robert Bishop with hammer in 2007 faces murder charge after victim’s death in October

Chicago Sun-Times Wire

Terry Hood | Illinois Dept. of Corrections

Terry Hood | Illinois Dept. of Corrections

A man already serving a 22-year prison sentence for tying up his former roommate and beating him with a hammer in 2007 in Washington Park faces upgraded charges after Robert Bishop died in October.

Terry Hood, 61, was convicted of aggravated battery of a senior citizen for the May 8, 2007, attack, according to the Cook County state’s attorney’s office. He is serving his sentence in the downstate Pinckneyville Correctional Center.

That day, the landlord of Bishop’s apartment building in the 5100 block of South Calumet heard several noises, including thumping and banging, coming from Bishop’s apartment for several hours, prosecutors said during Hood’s bond hearing Thursday.

About midnight, he went to Bishop’s apartment to investigate and heard what sounded like Hood’s voice yelling, prosecutors said. When the landlord knocked, the yelling stopped. When he eventually entered, he saw the apartment in disarray and blood on the floor, prompting him to run to a neighbor’s apartment.

The landlord and neighbor then went back to the apartment, where they found Bishop in his bedroom, hands and feet bound with electrical cords, prosecutors said. Bishop was suffering from injuries to his head and body, and a slash wound to his throat.

Bishop was taken to the hospital in critical condition at the time, prosecutors said, and was later transferred to a long-term care nursing home.

Bishop, 78, died Oct. 29, 2016, at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood from complications of a traumatic brain injury suffered in that assault, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office. His death was ruled a homicide.

Chicago Police investigating the attack learned that for several weeks, Hood had been accusing Bishop of sleeping with his girlfriend, prosecutors said. The men had previously been roommates, but Hood had moved out because of the argument.

Detectives also spoke with someone Hood had spoken with, admitting he had tied up Bishop and beat him, prosecutors said. Hood also told that person that he had planned on killing Bishop, but someone knocked on the apartment door, so he ran away.

When Bishop regained consciousness, he verified to police that Hood had struck him in the head with a hammer, prosecutors said.

During Thursday’s hearing, Judge Peggy Chiampas ordered Hood held without bond, court records show.

blog comments powered by Disqus