Kamari Belmont beats murder rap on technicality, then gets gunned down minutes after bonding out of jail

Chicago Sun-Times

Kamari Belmont | Cook County Sheriff's Dept.

Kamari Belmont | Cook County Sheriff’s Dept.

Kamari Belmont beat a murder rap on a technicality last month, but didn’t have long to enjoy it. About half an hour after being released on bond from Cook County Jail, the 23-year-old was shot to death while riding in a vehicle in Little Village.

About 11:12 p.m., Kamari Belmont was released from jail after posting 10 percent of a $100,000 bond, and was picked up by an acquaintance, according to the Cook County sheriff’s office.

At 11:43 p.m., he was riding in a vehicle less than a mile from the jail in the 3300 block of South California when a white SUV pulled alongside and someone inside opened fire, according to Chicago Police.

At 11:57 p.m., after being shot in the back and torso, he tried to run away, but collapsed in the street, authorities said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Belmont and two other men, 23-year-old Terrance Hogans and 21-year-old Khalil Powell, were charged in connection with a pair of robberies that happened within an hour of each other early on May 1, 2015, police said at the time.

Terrance Hogans (left) and Khalil Powell | Cook County Sheriff's Dept.

Terrance Hogans (left) and Khalil Powell | Cook County Sheriff’s Dept.

Hogans shot one of the victims in the first alleged robbery, which happened about 2 a.m. in the 3700 block of South Vincennes, Cook County prosecutors said at his bond hearing. The victim, 40-year-old North Side man Sorrell Marshall, died three weeks later of complications from his gunshot wounds, according to the Cook County Medical examiner’s office.

The men were involved in a second robbery about an hour later in the 0-100 block of East 21st Street, but police were able to track them down using a mobile tracking application on cellphone they stole, prosecutors said.

As officers approached in the 500 block of West 43rd Street, Hogans got out of the vehicle with a handgun in his waistband and lunged at one of the officers with a forearm to the chest, authorities said. An officer shot him once in the arm and chest, and he ran away, prosecutors said. The other two men were arrested, as was Hogans when he showed up at Mercy Hospital.

An autopsy didn’t immediately rule on the manner of Marshall’s death, but it was later ruled a homicide, according to the medical examiner’s office. Hogans and Belmont were initially charged with attempted murder, armed robbery, and unlawful restraint. They were later charged with murder. Powell was chargeed with armed robbery and unlawful restraint.

The murder charges against Belmont and Hogans were dropped Jan. 27, court records show. A state statute stipulates that, after agreed upon continuances, a person accused of a crime who is still in custody must be brought to trial 120 days after making a demand, unless that is specifically waived in the continuance request.

Court records show that Belmont made a demand for trial on April 15, 2016. Between May 2015 and mid-January 2017, Belmont’s attorneys and prosecutors agreed to at least 12 case continuances, records show.

When Belmont’s charges were dropped, a judge set bond at $100,000 for the second robbery. The murder charge against Hogans was also dropped, but he was ordered held on $200,000 for the second robbery, and assaulting an officer.

Someone posted 10 percent bail for Belmont and he was released Monday night before the shooting.

Hogans next court date is set for Mach 29, while Powell is scheduled to appear in court March 21.

blog comments powered by Disqus