WEEK IN REVIEW: At least 6 killed in Chicago homicides; body of woman slain months earlier found in Little Cal

Chicago Sun-Times Wire

At least 6 people were homicide victims last week in Chicago, though one was ruled self-defense. And the body of a woman murdered months earlier was found dismembered and packed in suitcases in the Little Calumet River, a grisly crime for which two men are being held without bond.

There were two fatal shootings over the weekend, just hours apart in the South Side Auburn Gresham neighborhood.

Ashton Simpson was fatally shot Sunday night. The 36-year-old was inside a building in the 8300 block of South Wood when he heard gunshots and went outside to check about 9:10 p.m., according to Chicago Police.

Police said he was then shot in the chest, face and arm. Simpson, who lived on the same block, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

About two hours earlier, a 19-year-old man was fatally shot, also in Auburn Gresham. Akim Gaddis was standing outside in the 8400 block of South Loomis at 6:53 p.m. when a vehicle pulled up and someone inside opened fire, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.

Gaddis, who lived on the same block, was shot in the back and died less than an hour later at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.

A 21-year-old man was shot to death Thursday afternoon in Humboldt Park. Wilfred Santiago was walking in the 1600 block of North Francisco about 2:30 p.m. when two males walked up, one of them pulled a gun and opened fire, according to police and the medical examiner’s office. The pair then ran away northbound.

Santiago, of the 3500 block of North Kostner, was shot in the torso, arm and lower back; and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he died, authorities said.

Police are investigating whether the shooting was gang-related.

Rocky Weekes was shot to death early Tuesday during a fight in Old Irving Park.

The 31-year-old got into a physical dispute about 3:05 a.m. in the 3300 block of North Keeler with someone who pulled a gun and shot him in the chest, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.

Weekes, of the 3400 block of North Kenton, was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he died three hours later, authorities said.

Police are investigating whether the shooting was gang-related.

Deandre Myles was shot to death in East Garfield Park Monday night.

About 7:45 p.m., the 23-year-old Myles was standing on a sidewalk in the 3100 block of West Fifth Avenue when someone walked up and shot him repeatedly, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.

Myles, who lived in the 2000 block of West Maypole, died at Stroger Hospital.

Derrick Simpson was stabbed to death Monday morning in Chatham. The 56-year-old was stabbed in the chest in the 800 block of East 81st Street at 11:30 a.m., police said.

Simpson was fighting with another man when that man stabbed him, police said. Simpson, who lived in the same block where he was stabbed, was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he died, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.

A person of interest was taken into custody, but that person was released after police said the stabbing was in self-defense.

In a case that a judge called “barbaric,” Cook County prosecutors claim a South Side man beat and choked his girlfriend to death before dismembering her body and placing the pieces in suitcases.

Paul Meyers then enlisted the help of his older brother, Arronis Jackson, in disposing of Laneesha Miller’s remains, which authorities recovered from the Little Calumet River last week, prosecutors said.

Judge Adam Bourgeois Jr. called the crime barbaric as he ordered the siblings held without bond.

Miller, of Atlanta, was last seen alive June 21, when the 28-year-old called her father to wish him happy Father’s Day and say she was returning to the South the next day.

But prosecutors said Meyers heard a recording on Miller’s cellphone of her talking about sleeping with another man, grew livid and hit her on the head with a hammer, then choked her to death in his home in the 2700 block of West 84th Place.

Meyers, 33, then put the body in the trunk of Miller’s car. A few days later, Jackson, 44, helped dispose of the body, which was dismembered, placed in four suitcases, and abandoned in the river near the Bishop Ford Freeway.

Meyers is charged with murder, and his brother is charged with concealment of a homicidal death.

blog comments powered by Disqus